Sunday, January 17, 2016

Serendipity In Paris

Place des Vosges

Today was the first official day in Paris. Even though I arrived about four days ago I had hardly left my room. Instead I spent time recovering from a violent stomach bug.  


Today the goal was to go to Musee Carnavalet and learn some of the history of the city I will be studying in for the next few months. Instead I wound up at the Louvre and the Place des Vosges.




Mona Lisa. 
Today I saw Napoleon's apartment and the Mona Lisa herself. I remember first learning about the Mona Lisa in my first grade art class. She was supposed to be the reason for my "quick stop" tothe Louvre. Instead I spent the most time studying the Victory of Samothrace statue that I stumbled upon. 




The spoons player was my favorite!



Today I came upon a band of four playing on the street. This was when I was suppossed to go into the Musee Carnavalet and learn some history. Instead I tapped my feet to the music of Swing Paris. A cello, clarinet, a tin can harmonica, and a spoons player!  It was wonderful! I listened to four songs including some variations of my favorite American swing music. 








Today was a good day. I can check the Mona Lisa and the Louvre off of my list of things that I have seen and I can add Swing Paris to my book of serendipitous moments. Millions of people go to the Louvre every year to see the Mona Lisa. I got to see her for free as a student so instead I put some money into the Clarinet case for Swing Paris. 











 To me my favorite travel moments are the little ones that are stumbled upon that not everyone can see. Swing Paris was much more memorable to me than the da Vinci painting I have seen in a thousand places. I am looking forward to more checklist moments and serendipitous moments as the next few months fly by! 







3 comments:

  1. As a mom of a musician, I appreciate your donation to the clarinetist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Serendipitous travel moments are the best! Like the time Maria and I met a 90 year-old oyster farmer in a little village in Paris, and he told us what it was like when the Germans came marching through town during WWII, or when you and I stumbled upon the Penny Farthing bike race. These moments are the treasures of vacations that can't be found in a guide book or on Trip Advisor. :-) May you have many, many more during your travels through life, my dear daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog and have thoroughly enjoyed the 3 entries I've read so far, Abby! I'm anxiously anticipating reading more. I hope to see Paris before I die and your blog will expose me to so much more than the travel books can! Enjoy your studies and special moments!

    ReplyDelete